– Marine Biology is available to rising juniors and seniors. It will count towards .5 of the 1 credit senior science elective requirement.
– The first two weeks will be spent at Jesuit. Students will complete a survey course that is structured around a variety of marine topics, including: oceanography, climate change, marine vertebrates and invertebrates, and ecosystems. This will incorporate multiple science disciplines (e.g., biology, chemistry, & physics), in addition to writing, reading, and understanding contest
– The third week will take place on Virgin Gorda Island, British Virgin Islands. Students will participate in classroom and field projects, as designed by Jesuit instructors and Dive BVI. They will participate in research to support the international efforts of Project AWARE, a nonprofit organization that seeks to conserve underwater environments through education, advocacy and action. A community service project will also take place on Virgin Gorda.
– Chaperones for the trip will be Ben Kirby ’00 and Todd Gruninger PhD ‘98
– The students will receive a grade for the course. In addition to participating in discussions, students will be required to complete assessments, assignments, research proposals, blog entries, and video diaries. A detailed syllabus will be distributed to students on the first day of the course.
- Students will learn about research techniques and validity, human impacts on coral reefs and Caribbean marine ecosystems, fish identification and anatomy, and the application of science
- Student will be provided experiences that incorporate science, culture, and service
- Students will participate in international research project(s) and data collection
- Students will become informed members of society and contribute to the preservation and understanding surrounding a precious and vulnerable world resource, the oceans.
Below are the cost estimates for the course. This does not include passport fees (if applicable) and open water certification costs (if applicable). N.B.: Payments can be made using check and/or credit card. Miles/Points can be redeemed for airfare if available and they apply to group airline selection.
|Lodging-Guavaberry Spring Resorts – 7 nights||$450|
|Airfare (DFW to Virgin Gorda)||$750- $1,100*|
|Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)||$340|
|Diver Package (instructors, equipment, fuel)||$700-$740*|
|Transport Fees (land and sea taxi)||$160|
|JCP Tuition and Fees (all supplies) – this is a .5 credit course||$800|
*cost dependent on date of booking and enrollment numbers