Day Five


Today was a full day. We started our day off by having breakfast at lime tree cabin, followed by a quick taxi as usual to the dock. Once at the boats we quickly loaded all our dive gear up all our headed to our first dive site, the wreck of the the Rhone. During our first dive we explored the bow of the boat. During our exploration we were able to do a swim through of the hull. Inside the hull the ship was filled with a few bait balls and a large barracuda named Fred. Once we exited the hull we swam on the starboard side of the ship, up to the bow spirit. At the bow spirit we were able to swim through it and on to the port side. Once we surfaced and had our snacks, Casey told us the history of the Rhone. The Rhone was originally a mail ship for the queen, but after surviving a world class storm it was called unsinkable and converted into a passenger ship. During a hurricane off the coast of Salt Island the ship was driven into two pieces with only one passenger and 22 crew embers surviving. After the history she told us a true heart pounding ghost story of the Rhone. The story included a diver fearing for his life as a trapped victim of the wreck pulled him back in. After the stories and history we geared up to go explore the stern end of the boat. During our dive we encountered some sea horses. Because there was by little current we were able to preform a swim through of the massive prop. Once through we swam to the window of the lucky Italian, and gave it a good luck rub; and continued to the captains silver spoon. During our dive the wonderful Casey took many pictures of us diving with the sea horse and many group photos. Aft everyone was loaded up on the boat we motored over to Copper Island Beach Club for for an amazing lunch. I had the conch Frankfurters, which were basically conch hush puppies that were amazing. After some time to explore and rest we headed to the near by sea grasses to go snorkeling. During our snorkel we saw two or three sea turtles, a couple of sting ray, tons of Christmas Tree Worms, and some smaller fish along with a large barracuda. Once we were on our way our amazing captain Ben fought through the rough seas and and make sure we made it back safely. After some quick shower we all headed to mass at the local church that had amazing vies surrounding it. Back at the beach we had hamburgers and hot dogs for dinner before we headed out for our night snorkel. Beth made my day by surprising us all with some amazing chocolate vanilla cupcakes. During our night snorkel at the beach we saw some amazing things, such as bioluminescent, shrimp, a playful squid, and an eel. I am sad that on Monday we have to leave the BVI and the Dive BVI staff, I hope that I can return soon and go diving here again. Tomorrow I look forward to completing our service project and presenting our research project.