Day 1- Orientation & 2 dives


I was woken up at 6:30 by the screeching cocka-doodle-doo of a rooster. I then abruptly heard the sound of my phone’s alarm. I got up threw on my swimsuit and slid my feet into my flip-flops and walked out to the kitchen area to get my water. I opened the freezer and as expected my water was frozen. Then, I went and brushed my teeth and sat in a chair while waiting on every one in my cabin to be ready. We walked down to the cattle guard at the entrance of Guavaberry Spring Bay Resort at 7:30. The whole group then walked to the main office of the resort and was greeted by the general manager, Tina. Tina talked to us about how happy she was to have us and how the concession stores worked. Concluding this encounter we went back to the cattle guard where Glen our taxi driver picked us up. He then took us to another resort Old Yard where we ate breakfast and then began first day orientation. During orientation we talked about what were going to do and we learned about our perceptions on protecting marine life. After having lunch, we played a fish identification game to increase our knowledge of fish commonly found in the Caribbean. We finished all the orientation and learning at 1:15 and left for the marina. Upon arriving to the marina we went to our boat Sea Dragon and departed to our first dive spot in Long Bay. In long Bay we dove at about 25 ft to observe the anchor destruction on our coral transplants from last year as well as some of the successful and safe corals. Saddened by this dive we traveled 4 minutes to the planned camera installation area. Here, we dove for another 30 to 40 minutes. While diving we found and mapped the perfect spot for our camera and saw a few neat things. Things such as a jellyfish, a couple of spiny Caribbean lobster, drum fish and some starfish. After the tiring trek back to the boat we took our gear apart and left back to the marina. Next, we took all our gear off the boat and we went back to the resort. Then, I showered and met at the cattle guard for dinner. We walked up the road to the baths where we went to the restaurant on top of the Baths. We indulged in a delicious dinner and then I headed back to Guavaberry knowing as soon as my head hits the pillow I am going to sleep.